Our Commitment to Giving Back to our Local Communities
For more than 80 years, Perkins+Will has been dedicated to transforming lives and improving society through design. With each project, we strive to achieve a comprehensive understanding of our client’s mission, vision, needs, and cultural context.
We have committed resources to serve society through an extensive Social Purpose program. Through this program, we seek to address basic human needs—food, shelter, health, and education. This initiative has expanded since our time in New Orleans post-Hurricane Katrina, when we had a team on the ground offering our services to assist with disaster recovery. Today, we commit 1% of our billable resources to pro bono initiatives in the communities we serve. Social purpose is a core value of our firm and integral to everything we do.
Our projects are selected by local offices, with special focus on the communities we live in. Often it is a passionate staff member who makes the first contact with a prospective client. The local office reviews potential clients and selects those we feel we can best serve. Among the criteria considered are: nonprofit status, financial need, and compatibility with our values. We look for projects and organizations that are socially beneficial, serve the underserved, and incorporate sustainability. Our pro bono work is as small as street furniture or as large as urban plans and brings our expertise to people and places that could not otherwise afford it.
News + Media
- Four Ways Designers Can Help Bring Equity into Communities From our Ideas + Buildings blog [Blog]
- Good Relationships Serving a Good Cause: Coming Together for CVT’s New Home From our Ideas+Buildings Blog [Blog]
- Social Responsibility Annual Report No. 05 [Publication]
- Design’s Big New Trend: Making It Count From out Ideas+Buildings Blog [Blog]
- Working for the Greater Good [News]
- Top LEED Project for 2011: Arlington Free Clinic Interiors & Sources [News]
- The Fugees Village Brochure The Field is Our Refuge. The Classroom is Our Future [Publication]
- Green for the Greater Good [Publication]
- The Power of Pro Bono 40 Stories About Design for the Public Good [Publications]
- Altruism in the Profession: The Implementation of Social Responsibility [Publications]